The Coast of Scotland
Discover the coast of Scotland on holiday or on your doorstep
Hand Picked & Reviewed
The National Trust for Scotland
A vital conservation charity protecting Scotland's coast, wilderness, wildlife and countryside for the good of all. Funded largely by donations, membership is very affordable, comes with a raft of benefits and supports their work.
Coastal Regions of Scotland
Whether camping, touring or looking for a chalet or lodge Haven sites have all amenities on site leaving you free to just explore the coast by day and relax in the evening.
- Recent Marine Scotland Science Publications 16th July 2020Marine Scotland Science, as a core Scottish Government (SG) Division, is working to support SG’s overall COVID-19 response. It also continues to sustain critical marine science delivery and has over the last month produced the following notable publications: Greathead, C., Magni, P., Vanaverbeke, J., Buhl-Mortensen, L., Janaz, U., Blomqvist, M., Craeymeersch, J., Dannheim, J., Darr,... […]
- Why we publish our science 9th July 2020From Japanese sardines to the effects of mackerel grazing on plankton in New Zealand, Environment Monitoring and Assessment Programme Manager Dr Bill Turrell explains why a 25-year-old Marine Scotland Science paper on understanding mackerel in Scotland is still having an impact today. ***************************************************************************************** Recently a notification popped into my inbox which prompted me to write... […]
- Vacancy: Fishery Officers, various locations, closing date 3 August 6th July 2020We are currently seeking applications for Fishery Officers within the Marine Scotland Compliance based in Ayr, Lerwick, Peterhead, Portree and other ports as yet unspecified. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below... […]
- Plastic Bag Free Day 3rd July 2020Today is Plastic Bag Free Day, a global initiative that aims to eliminate the use of single-use plastic bags. So, to acknowledge this day, we’d like to highlight some of the important work that we, in Marine Scotland, do to reduce the amount of plastic and marine litter from entering our amazing aquatic environment. Marine... […]
- Vacancy: Renewables Science Projects Leader – closing date 5 August 1st July 2020We are currently seeking applications for a Renewables Science Projects Leader within Marine Scotland based in Aberdeen or Edinburgh. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments. The... […]
- Grim find in whale’s stomach 4th December 2019Luskentyre Beach served as a stunning backdrop to a “horrific” discovery by the Scottish Marine Animal Stranding Scheme (SMASS).
- Teaming up to tackle entanglement 29th October 2019In the first workshop of its kind in Europe, creel fishermen and women from around Scotland gathered in the Highlands to tackle the problem of marine animal entanglement.
- A third of UK marine animal strandings are on Scottish coasts 6th September 2019A total of 1,616 marine animals were reported washed up on Scottish shorelines in a seven-year period between 2011 and 2017, according to a new report published today.
- Sea change in Scottish beach surveillance 26th July 2019Members of the public can now play a vital role in helping marine scientists gather data on animal strandings and the condition of Scotland’s beaches.
- A celebration of citizen science 20th February 2019A celebration of citizen science following a year that saw more reportings of stranded marine life around Scotland’s coasts than ever before is to be held in the Highlands.
- MS Maps NMPi update - March 2020 6th March 2020Marine Scotland MAPS NMPi (National Marine Plan interactive) is Marine Scotland’s on-line planning portal making spatial data available to marine stakeholders in an easily accessible form to assist with the implementation of marine planning. Marine Scotland works with Scottish Natural Heritage, Scottish Environment Protection Agency, Joint Nature Conservation Committee and Marine Alliance for Science and […]