The Countryside of Great Britain
Discover the countryside of Great Britain on your doorstep or on holiday
Great Britain is blessed with a great diversity of approximately 90,000 square miles of landscape. Wild mountains with snow-capped peaks, lush green valleys and calm lakes, meandering rivers, rolling farmland, forests teeming with life, purple heather-clad moorland, golden sandy beaches and more.
Hand picked and reviewed
Department for Environment, Food & Rural Affairs
The UK Government department tasked with issues such as the environment, rural development, the countryside, wildlife, animal welfare and sustainable...
- Scientists raise concerns about captive-bred salmon in the wild 22nd October 2020A research project has found that releasing captive-bred Atlantic salmon could be causing long-term harm to wild populations.
- 10 of the best gifts for walkers 22nd October 2020In need of a present? Try one of these gifts for the hikers in your life.
- Pumpkin and sage spaghetti 21st October 2020This dish is a marriage of the sweet golden pumpkin, which is much loved in Mantua and Cremona in northern Italy, and spaghetti from further south.
- History and traditions of Halloween in the UK and pumpkin recipes ideas 21st October 2020Our guide looks at the history of Halloween customs in the UK, its ancient origins, plus tips on how to carve a pumpkin, and tasty pumpkin recipe ideas
- Spiced energy balls 21st October 2020These vegan bites with apple and cinnamon take just 10 minutes to make
- Country diary: curiosity and the crows 23rd October 2020Wardlow, Derbyshire: The birds’ intelligence and aerial harmonising add to their appeal Cycling up from Monsal Head, I crested a ridge, and soon after turned down the quiet lane that separates Longstone Moor from rough pasture east of Wardlow. On two wheels, this is among the most glorious stretches in the Peak District, a spin […]
- To be black in the British countryside means being an outsider | VV Brown 20th October 2020Ignorant, racist things can come out of the mouths of nice, smiley people in wellington boots. I’m trying to change thatOnly 2% of black people in Britain live in the countryside, according to a 2017 study. I am part of that 2%. I live in a small village just outside Milton Keynes, where I am […]
- How a storm-stricken Scottish village was swallowed by sand 19th October 2020Like many ‘natural’ disasters, much of the destruction that engulfed Culbin in 1694 was manmadeAn unlikely feature of the Scottish landscape, a desert of shifting sand, was created by a north-westerly storm of great ferocity that began blowing on 19 October 1694. It took several days for towering dunes to engulf all the fields of […]
- James Rebanks: ‘I don't want to be soppy, but my father ended up as my best friend’ 17th October 2020The Herdwick Shepherd on three generations of farm life, the joy of cold tea and earning the respect of Masai warriorsPorridge is the best way to really start the day, usually after the shepherding is done. Sometimes I’ll have bacon and eggs, but I’m on a diet at the moment, after being too sedentary, writing […]
- Country diary: signs of autumn fill the senses 16th October 2020Little Casterton, Rutland: A brilliant production ushers in the darker months, fungi are everywhere and trees form hard shadows in the skyFor a couple of days each year, the textures of change in this little nook of Rutland are palpable. The greens of summer are still the foundations, in the grass, in the moss and […]