The Countryside of Cumbria
Discover the countryside of Cumbria on your doorstep or on holiday
Please get in touch to apply
Get back to nature in any one of more than 50 rural retreats with self catering accommodation to suit any number in the heart of one of England's most stunning and tranquil counties. Cottages, Barns, Apartments, Mansions and more with discounts of up to 20%.
- Broad-bodied chaser dragonfly breeding at Eycott Hill Nature Reserve 26th June 2020The Broad-bodied chaser dragonfly has been steadily moving north through the country for many years and it is becoming more frequent in the northern half of Cumbria.
- Emergency fund gives boost to the Trust 25th June 2020Cumbria Wildlife Trust is beneficiary of grant to help the charity sector during coronavirus pandemic
- Kick-start nature’s recovery and absorb a third of UK emissions 24th June 2020New report from The Wildlife Trusts shows how investing in nature would reap big dividends in tackling climate crisis
- How can we prevent an insect apocalypse? 17th June 2020Prof Dave Goulson, the leading national expert in bumblebee and pollinator ecology, explains why insects are in decline and suggests how we should tackle this crisis
- Call for a ‘gold standard’ to protect sea off Cumbria 8th June 2020We're backing a new form of protection for the sea and call on Government for ambitious delivery plan for Highly Protected Marine Areas within a year
- Woodland insect hotels 26th June 2020Staff at The Wild Boar Inn Grill & Smokehouse at Crook near Windermere have been seeking to entertain guests of a different kind during the coronavirus lockdown period with the introduction of insect ‘hotels’.
- July’s Cumbria in shops from 26 June 16th June 2020Exploring the islands of Derwent Water in the July issue of Cumbria
- Stay at home competition 7th June 2020Our competition to create your very own Cumbria front cover is still running, so sharpen your pencils and get creative!
- Artists’ record of lockdown 4th June 2020Artists in Cumbria are being invited to contribute to a record of the coronavirus lockdown
- Printfest rollover 2nd June 2020Organisers of Printfest have announced their event for 2020 is being rolled over, in its entirety, to 2021