The Countryside of Cumbria
Discover the countryside of Cumbria on your doorstep or on holiday
Please get in touch to apply
Get back to nature in any one of more than 50 rural retreats with self catering accommodation to suit any number in the heart of one of England's most stunning and tranquil counties. Cottages, Barns, Apartments, Mansions and more with discounts of up to 20%.
- New funding will transform former golf driving range into a wildlife haven 19th October 2020A former golf course and driving range in Carlisle city centre will become the very first urban bee and butterfly oasis in the North West
- Excitement as first grey seal pup of season spotted at South Walney 7th October 2020The first grey seal pup to be born this breeding season was spotted at South Walney Nature Reserve on 5 October 2020.
- Local environmental organisations will benefit from a share of £246k grant to fund a post-pandemic Green Recovery 2nd October 2020The National Lottery Heritage Fund awards emergency funds to Cumbria Wildlife Trust and others to help with nature recovery planning in the wake of Covid-19
- Cumbria Wildlife Trust celebrates the end of a wonderful project at Eycott Hill Nature Reserve 30th September 2020In 2015 we began a five-year project at Eycott Hill Nature Reserve, funded by The National Lottery Heritage Fund, to combine habitat restoration with restorative low-input farming and people engagement.
- We're launching an appeal to kickstart nature's recovery 28th September 2020The Wildlife Trusts launch 30 by 30, a public appeal to raise £30 million to start putting nature into recovery across at least 30% of land and sea by 2030.
- Keep ticking along 30th September 2020As the sun rose up on Sunday, August 9, the iconic ‘Brief Encounter clock’ was removed temporarily from Carnforth station, for renovation and repairs.
- Pick of the best at apple day 27th September 2020Beetham Nurseries, at Beetham, near Milnthorpe, has announced the return of Apple Weekend on October 10 and 11 this year
- Busy time for rescue team 24th September 2020Patterdale Mountain Rescue Team (MRT) is busy on all fronts as the easing of lockdown attracts more people to the fells and also enables supporters to boost fundraising for the team’s new vehicle appeal.
- October’s Cumbria in shops from 24 September 18th September 2020Savour the delights of a Lakeland autumn in the October issue of Cumbria
- Success with sculptures 6th September 2020The country going into lockdown had a surprising effect on one Cumbrian business.