The West Yorkshire Countryside
Discover the West Yorkshire countryside on your doorstep or on holiday
A wide array of self-catering holiday accommodation to suit all budgets from cosy, idyllic cottages to grand country manors all with nature on your doorstep and easy access to National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- The Yorkshire Dales National Park: How did you do? 13th July 20201. Can you name this breed of deer? (1 point) Answer: Roe deer (Capreolus capreolus) Roe deer are one of only two native species of deer in the UK. (The other is the red deer, Cervus elaphus). They stand up to 75cm high at the shoulder, are solid brown in colour and have beautiful black […]
- Historic Highlights: Our Team’s Top 10 (Part 1) 13th July 2020We in the YDNPA Historic Environment Team are passionate about the hundreds of incredible historic landscapes, sites and finds across the Dales. During lockdown we have greatly missed going out on our usual site visits – which got us thinking about our personal favourites. With this in mind, we thought we would set ourselves the […]
- Medieval trade routes in Westmorland 9th July 2020As we discussed in our earlier blogpost, Packhorses and their routes, trade goods were carried the length and breadth of Britain on the backs of packhorses in trains of up to twenty beasts at a time each with a load of between one and two hundredweight. The sturdy ‘Jaggers’ or Galloway ponies could negotiate narrow […]
- Benyon review on Highly Protected Marine Areas published 8th June 2020The Wildlife Trusts back the Benyon review and call on Government for ambitious delivery plan for Highly Protected Marine Areas within a year.
- Love and look after it! 5th June 2020The Wildlife Trusts appeal to people’s love of nature following last weekend’s wildfires, vandalism, littering and disturbance to wildlife
- Victory for Askham Bog! 13th May 2020Secretary of State refuses development at Moor Lane, protecting Askham Bog nature reserve for the future.