City of Edinburgh Countryside
Discover countryside in Edinburgh on your doorstep or on holiday
A vital conservation charity protecting Scotland's coast, wilderness, wildlife and countryside for the good of all. Funded largely by donations, membership is very affordable, comes with a raft of benefits and supports their work.
- Wildlife treasures uncovered in Edinburgh’s newest park 9th October 2019More than 200 different species of wildlife including locally rare butterflies have been found in Edinburgh’s newest park. Experts joined forces with local citizen scientists this summer to search for plants and animals at Little France Park in the east of the city during a special Wildlife Week. The species recorded in the park included… […]
- New film explores Little France Park 8th July 2019Local residents Sarah Ford-Hutchinson and Barrie Williams have created a film exploring Little France Park in Edinburgh. This is the city’s newest park and, covering 45 hectares, it is the largest in a generation. Little France Park has reclaimed unmanaged grassland for the local community and carves out a green corridor from the city centre to… […]
- Living Cities: creating flower rich urban meadows 4th July 2019In this guest blog, Leonie Alexander from the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh explains how to transform amenity grass into to vibrant flower rich meadows, and how this can benefit wildlife and was first published as part of the Scottish Wildlife Trust’s Living Cities series Imagine the scene – the sound of birdsong, grasshoppers leaping out from under your feet,… […]
- ‘Boring’ geology in Glasgow & EGS’ winter lecture programme 6th October 2020Not quite what it may seem, but BGS’ geologists would appear to be doing some interesting new work beneath Glasgow. We have heard directly about plans for this work as part of our previous lecture programme. This BBC news website article from its science section contains some beautiful images from the cores taken from beneath Glasgow. […]
- New leaflets for the Berwickshire coast 5th September 2020The post New leaflets for the Berwickshire coast appeared first on Edinburgh Geological Society.
- Polar Podcasts – geological exploration of Greenland 4th September 2020The post Polar Podcasts – geological exploration of Greenland appeared first on Edinburgh Geological Society.