Highland & Islands Countryside
Argyll and Bute, Eilean Siar (Western Isles), Highland, Orkney, Shetland
Discover the countryside of the Scottish Highlands & Islands on your doorstep or on holiday
A vital conservation charity protecting Scotland's coast, wilderness, wildlife and countryside for the good of all. Funded largely by donations, membership is very affordable, comes with a raft of benefits and supports their work.
- Rare Tennessee Warbler delights bird enthusiasts 29th September 2020A RARE species of bird last seen in Britain 25 years ago has been spotted in Yell. The sighting of the Tennessee Warbler is only the fifth on record in Britain. It was spotted by Dougie Preston earlier today (Tuesday) in Burravoe. “It’s something we birders dream about finding, but realistically realise it’s probably only […]
- Building work begins at Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary 26th August 2020AFTER many years of planning and fundraising, building work has finally begun developing and upgrading Shetland’s sole wildlife sanctuary. The £400,000 project to create new facilities for seals and otters, which Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary has been rescuing and rehabilitating back to the wild for the past 33 years, will guarantee the long term future of […]
- Greens want ban on seal scarers 7th June 2020THE SCOTTISH Green Party has called for an imminent ban on seal killing by salmon farms to be beefed up to include sonic “torture” devices. According to the Greens, acoustic seal scarers “cause injury, misery and lasting hearing damage to seals and other animals.” Hillswick Wildlife Trust’s Peter Bevington said that the sonic devices don’t […]
- St Andrew’s Day (Celebrate this 30th November)St Andrew’s Day is Scotland’s official national day, and is celebrated on the 30th November every year. In 2006 the St. Andrew’s Day Bank Holiday (Scotland) Act 2007, was passed by the Scottish parliament, meaning that St Andrew’s Day became designated an official bank holiday in Scotland. If the 30th November falls on a weekend, […]
- Highland Cows (and 8 fun facts you need to know about these legen-dairy beasts!)Highland cows are often known as the gentle giants of Scotland. With their long horns, and flowing red locks, these iconic beasts are easily recognised, but how much do you really know about them? This article aims to explore the magnificent creatures in more detail, and by the end we are sure you will fall […]
- The Northern Lights (And 7 of the best places to view them!)The phenomenal spectacle of the Northern lights is famous around the world, and a must see for everyone at least once in your lifetime. There is nothing quite like the grandeur of settling beneath the ever-changing lights to watch them streak, curl and soar across the sky in one of natures most fantastic performances. When […]
- Five ways to boost your mood 14th May 2020In a flash of serendipity (and not without a hint of irony in the current circumstances), we’ve learned that April is Stress Awareness Month. So, for a much-needed dose of the feel-good factor, a soupçon of escapism, and a fling for your fettle, Kerry May offers her five top recommends for improving your mood and wellbeing during these turbulent times… […]
- Turning the tide of tradition 11th November 2019After 16 years, Peter Cairns from Scotland: The Big Picture returns to Alladale and meets up with Alladale’s Reserve Manager Innes MacNeill to talk about rewilding, breaking with tradition, and landscape management. Please enjoy the full article here. The post Turning the tide of tradition appeared first on Alladale Wilderness Reserve.
- Why we are failing nature 27th September 2019Please enjoy this article written by Catherine Thick and published in The Journal on September 25th 2019. 20190925_Why we are failing nature – The Journal – Kate Thick The post Why we are failing nature appeared first on Alladale Wilderness Reserve.
- Have you seen a red squirrel? 23rd September 2020The post Have you seen a red squirrel? appeared first on Trees for Life.
- Call for reports of red squirrel sightings across the Highlands to boost reintroduction project 21st September 2020The post Call for reports of red squirrel sightings across the Highlands to boost reintroduction project appeared first on Trees for Life.
- Call for fresh approach as Scotland’s beaver killing season begins 17th August 2020The post Call for fresh approach as Scotland’s beaver killing season begins appeared first on Trees for Life.