Highland & Islands Countryside
Argyll and Bute, Eilean Siar (Western Isles), Highland, Orkney, Shetland
Discover the countryside of the Scottish Highlands & Islands on your doorstep or on holiday
A vital conservation charity protecting Scotland's coast, wilderness, wildlife and countryside for the good of all. Funded largely by donations, membership is very affordable, comes with a raft of benefits and supports their work.
- Greens want ban on seal scarers 7th June 2020THE SCOTTISH Green Party has called for an imminent ban on seal killing by salmon farms to be beefed up to include sonic “torture” devices. According to the Greens, acoustic seal scarers “cause injury, misery and lasting hearing damage to seals and other animals.” Hillswick Wildlife Trust’s Peter Bevington said that the sonic devices don’t […]
- Emerging ban on seal shooting welcomed 3rd June 2020THE OWNERS of Hillswick Wildlife Sanctuary have welcomed news that the Scottish Government is preparing to ban seal shooting by fish farmers. Pete Bevington said that he was “delighted” that a ban appeared to be in the offing, while salmon farming bosses said that the industry had been “heading in that direction anyway”. A report […]
- Time to appreciate abundance of local wildflowers 25th May 2020IN THIS digital age many of us are spending more time indoors as our work and entertainment increasingly becomes enveloped within screens and technology, writes Alex Purbrick. The natural world is further removed from our daily lives by demands for Internet connection and remote networking taking precedence over our relationship to the wildlife, plants and […]
- Update from the Reserve – June 2020Picture a sunny and quiet Nature Reserve, with no visitors and plenty of wildlife. Sounds fairly relaxing, right? Well, it sure isn’t! This month has been particularly stressful for the Reserve team, and though wildlife is thriving, there has been an intriguing case that has kept the team very busy. From missing and finding Hope, […]
- The Battle of Falkirk (1298)Only a year after his success at the Battle of Stirling, William Wallace and his army succumbed to the force of the English at the Battle of Falkirk. The English army led by King Edward had learned from the defeat of his northern army at the Battle of Stirling Bridge, and this time their forces […]
- The Battle of Culloden (1746)The Battle of Culloden took place in 1746 and was the final confrontation of the Jacobite rising, as well as being the last ever battle to have been fought on British soil. In the centuries since it was fought there have been a series of compelling but somewhat misleading myths surrounding the Battle of Culloden. […]
- Five ways to boost your mood 14th May 2020In a flash of serendipity (and not without a hint of irony in the current circumstances), we’ve learned that April is Stress Awareness Month. So, for a much-needed dose of the feel-good factor, a soupçon of escapism, and a fling for your fettle, Kerry May offers her five top recommends for improving your mood and wellbeing during these turbulent times… […]
- Turning the tide of tradition 11th November 2019After 16 years, Peter Cairns from Scotland: The Big Picture returns to Alladale and meets up with Alladale’s Reserve Manager Innes MacNeill to talk about rewilding, breaking with tradition, and landscape management. Please enjoy the full article here. The post Turning the tide of tradition appeared first on Alladale Wilderness Reserve.
- Why we are failing nature 27th September 2019Please enjoy this article written by Catherine Thick and published in The Journal on September 25th 2019. 20190925_Why we are failing nature – The Journal – Kate Thick The post Why we are failing nature appeared first on Alladale Wilderness Reserve.
- Planning application submitted for world’s first rewilding centre 2nd July 2020The post Planning application submitted for world’s first rewilding centre appeared first on Trees for Life.
- Ministers urged to relocate beavers and end the culling 17th June 2020The post Ministers urged to relocate beavers and end the culling appeared first on Trees for Life.
- Scotland’s beavers – we need better options 5th June 2020The post Scotland’s beavers – we need better options appeared first on Trees for Life.